Wednesday, June 14, 2006

It's got me thinking....

In the last few days, I have been reading a ton of content on Robert Scoble, leaving Microsoft to join Podtech.net. Now, I have kept up with his blog and his work over at Channel 9 and I have always admired the way he was able to take you into the inner workings of such a huge company and give it a personal face. It is something that I have thought about doing at my company, but I am still hesitant to do. Every company should consider having their own "Channel 9" and use it to bring that "personal touch" for everyone to see. The more I think about it, the more I want to create it. Sure, there is the usual corporate redtape and support that I need to get, but I have been able to convince our team to do a few things to bring our company up to speed with today's technology trends. The cost would be practically nothing for them, I have the camera and I can do the website for nothing. My job description is basically to concentrate on all things technical and I believe this classifies as "technical" in nature. My boss would be 100% supportive on the effort as it would help to publicize our department, and our company for that matter. I don't know, it sounds like a great idea, in theory, but I just don't know if I have the extra time that would be needed to make this a success. I sure don't want to put the time and energy into starting it, if I can't make it a huge success. Oh well, off to ponder on that thought for a while.